Have you heard of the practice of selecting a specific word to ruminate on in the year ahead? Choosing one word is supposed to help you focus on developing or strengthening selected character traits, impact your experiences and light your way as you journey through the next 12 months.
I was unfamiliar with this practice, but immediately started trying to think of my own ‘watch-word’ for 2016. I’ve toyed with many, including:
but haven’t settled on ONE word yet… I am also considering Resonate, Sanctify, Aspire, Connect, Intend and Transform. There are so many awesome, uplifting and empowering words that I’m not sure I’ll be able to narrow it down to just one… can you?
As a lettering artist I strive to hand-letter words in a way that visually enhances their meaning. It’s important to me to focus on positive sentiments, I actually went through the dictionary and wrote down inspiring words for each letter of the alphabet. There are a LOT of wonderful words which begin with the letter “C”:
As I progressed through the alphabet I started to add weight to the letters to make them more interesting. Here’s an example of weighted words from my ‘V’ page:
I’m still not sure what one word to choose… but if you have chosen a word for yourself I’d love to know what it is. I may even surprise you and letter it! To celebrate the end of 2015, its time for more FREE downloads, and another contest! One of my licensees, Trim-A-Rim, is thinking about launching a ‘color-your-own’ line, and would appreciate feedback on the concept — they are also interested in getting ‘inspiration samples’ to help their customers envision the creative opportunities here. Given that so many of you like to color, I said I’d be happy to poll the Color & Creativity Enthusiasts, and in return for your input Trim-A-Rim is offering Trim-A-Rim loot as prizes! (More on that below).
For those of you who aren’t familiar with the product, Trim-A-Rim is an innovative magnetic whiteboard and mirror (it’s reversible) with a clear frame in which you can display a wide variety of different border options. One of the things I like best about the product is that you can change the rim art as often as you wish. It’s a fun and practical way to display your work…
Below is a photo of the Zenspirations® Trim-A-Rim collection (shown here in the Mini size):
There are two ways to Participate in the Contest:
A) Answer the four questions below by leaving a comment on this week’s blog, and your name will be entered into a drawing to win your choice of a Mini or Full-size Trim-A-Rim kit, along with print-outs of the colorable Zenspirations black & white borders for your chosen size. Two winners will be selected at random for this Participation option A.
B) The second way to participate is to download the designs below (OPEN LEAVES, FISH and/or HEARTS), add your own special touches, and post what you do in the Zenspirations Create, Color, Pattern, Play FB Group. As usual I’ve set up albums where you can post your designs. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471158256528576/.
For every design you post (and yes, you may post more than one version of the same border), your name will be entered into a random drawing to win both sizes of the Trim-A-Rim kit, along with print-outs of the colorable Zenspirations black & white borders for both sizes. If you post two designs, you’ll have two chances to win; if you post five designs, you’ll have five chances to win. Two prizes winners will be selected at random for this Participation option B.
For both of the random draw giveaways above (A and B), the prizes can be mailed only to addresses within the continental United States.
If any of your designs are selected as an inspiration sample, in addition to published credit, you’ll receive both sizes of the Trim-A-Rim kit, plus print-outs of all 9 of the colorable Zenspirations black & white borders and the full-color borders (a total of 36 border sheets), as well as several border print-outs of your inspiration sample(s). THIS BONUS IS OPEN TO OUR INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS!
As always, I encourage you to express yourself however you wish, whether that is coloring the designs as drawn, or adding your favorite patterns and embellishments (within the circular border lines). If you do choose to embellish your border, I recommend not adding dimensional items which might prevent the Trim-A-Rim frame from closing securely.
1. You will need to post your comments and creations by end of day Sunday, January 17th.
2. It’s important that you print the sheets out at Actual Size only (100%, or No scaling), so that the finished result will fit properly inside the Mini Trim-A-Rim clear frame. Please color only within the printed design area bounded by the interior and exterior border lines, leaving the rest of the page white, and submit your finished work in the full sheet form (not cut out)
3. VERY IMPORTANT: PUT YOUR NAME, e-dress and phone number on each design before you scan or photograph it!
4. Post your images IN the appropriate album in the new Zenspirations® Create, Color, Pattern, Play Facebook Group. You can get to the albums by clicking the Photos button underneath the imagine banner.
5. If your art is selected, you’ll need to send Trim-A-Rim a high-res scan (300 dpi) or the original art so they can scan it, and you’ll need to sign a Permission-to-Publish form.
6. Unlike your creations for my books, for these Trim-A-Rim borders you can use wet media as well as dry, including watercolors and other paints, as well as color pencils, gel pens, markers, crayons, rubber stamps, etc.
7. Submitting border designs is not a guarantee that they will be selected by Trim-A-Rim.
8. Artists whose work is selected will be given credit wherever their work is published or made available for download, and will receive all of the items noted in the bonus opportunity prize package description above.
9. As always, I’d like to include inspiration samples from as many ‘Color & Creativity Enthusiasts’ as possible, so I hope you’ll help spread the word about the colorable Trim-A-Rim borders. Please invite some of your creative friends to participate!
10. You can e-mail me (email@example.com) if you have any questions: please put
Below are the 4 questions for which we’d like your feedback:
1) Would you be interested in a black and white version of these designs that you could color and embellish?
2) If so, which designs would you most like to have a coloring version of?
1. Patterned Leaves
5. Large Scallops
8. Birds & Leaves
9. Small Scallops
Here are black & white versions of three of the designs so you can get a closer look (and the questions continue below).
These are the designs for which Trim-A-Rim is seeking your colored “inspiration samples”:
Click here to download your free copy of the OPEN LEAVES border.